On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:43:46AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 03:28:17AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 02:08:08AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
[...]
> > > Result!  In chroot bash still had the SIGFPE failures, and check had
> > > the two check_check and check_check_exports failures which prompted
> > > all of this.
> > >

> > Too much editing and revision before sending, failed to read it -
> >
> > > Booted.  System is trunk, built from an April build.  FLAGS of -O3
> > > and -march=native, with hardening where appropriate (not glibc!),
> > > but for glibc I reduced the FLAGS to -O1 -march=native.
> > >

> > *Host* system was from an April build, the new system is trunk.
> >
> > > Built check and ran the tests, all passed.
> > >
> > > This is on my ryzen 1300X and it's clear that having a "weird or
> > > defective" glibc underneath chroot makes running these tests there
> > > not useful
> > >
> > > I'm not at all convinced that I want to continue with -O1 in glibc.
> > > I'll throw this one away and start another build using glibc's
> > > default flags (-O2 -g without -march=native).
> > >
> > > To be continued, I hope ;-)  Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for the
> > > help and suggestions.
> > >
> Building glibc with '-O2 -g' the check tests succeeded after I
> booted.  Will keep this system for a few days (I need a 4 core
> gcc-10 machine for firefox-68.9.0), then I'll see if adding
> -march=native affects things : hopefully, I'll use this system as
> the host, so that I can run the tests in chroot.

Finally replying to this:

I did use that system for a fresh build, but the sigfpe problem was
present in the tests for both bash and check (building from xorg).

Then I booted the latest system (last night) and the check tests
succeeded.

Today I've been running the check tests at various places.  All
succeeded until (and including) completing my build of xorg.

But I've now rebooted and run startx (with fluxbox, elogind and
rxvt-unidoe) : the check tests FAIL.  I've been seeing this since we
first started to use 'check' a couple of years ago (at that point
I'd given up on trying to understand the bash tests, but looking
back I was getting the sigfpre failure then, so the common features
are startx (that was suid xorg in those days), and rxvt-unicode
(in those days I'll have been using icewm when building the next
system).

I'll reboot in a minute to retry without xorg and rxvt-unicode.

ĸen