On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 12:31:56PM +0100, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On 05/02/2021 12:29, Frans de Boer wrote:
> > After the 'file' issue, I started rebuilding LFS. Just to find out that
> > it stops with the message
> > '/lib/libc.so.6: CPU ISA level is lower than required'
> >
> > I use a Phenom II X4 365, but that seems now outdated?
> >
> > --- Frans
> >
> Sorry, have to add  that it was in chapter 8.

Seems to come from the HWCAPS additions (which are supposed to allow
distros to produce binaries for various groups of the x86_64
architecture (V1, V2, ...).

The tests are supposed to allow the required version to be tested (I
can't find a list of versions, but higher versions have more shinier
options).  I also can't find how to determine what version is
requested, nor what version binutils thinks the running machine is.

Your machine is from the K10 family, from a little over 10 years
ago.  I very much doubt that anyone has tried building glibc-2.33 on
anything like that.  Sounds like a bug somewhere, probably in
binutils.

I was skimming a mirror of the kernel lists and saw someone having
problems with binutils-2.36 (couldn't build 5.10 kernels). The
current bugs seems to be listed at
https://www.mail-archive.com/bug-binutils@gnu.org/
although I have not attempted to review how serious most of those
are.

The one I noted (hopefully fixed with 5.10.13) is copied there:
https://www.mail-archive.com/bug-binutils@gnu.org/msg36912.html.

I get the impression that 2.36 might be problematic.

ĸen
--
Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short and