On 10/06/16 08:06, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Mark Thompson (2016-06-10 01:25:58)
>> Adds a general mechanism for setting driver quirks, and detects the
>> driver name to set them.
>>
>> When the i965 driver is being used, destroy all parameter buffers
>> explicitly after use despite passing them to vaRenderPicture().
>> ---
>> An alternative approach to solving the same problem as the previous patch.
>> Maybe this is actually better once we start detecting the driver anyway?
>
> Yes, this looks much better to me.

Hmm, ok.  Thinking a bit further, maybe this should be available a bit more
generally because
<https://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=blob;f=libavcodec/vaapi.c;hb=HEAD#l180>
should also use it - maybe a property of the device rather than inside the
encoder?

A flags field in AVVAAPIDeviceContext would seem to do the right thing, but it
is unclear who would initialise it - the user, or inside av_hwdevice_ctx_init().

I should probably acquire a suitable AMD card so that I can actually test this
on more than one target.

> Btw, do the intel driver devs know about this problem?

Yes.  I don't know if it's been considered recently, but see
<https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libva/2012-July/000961.html> for some
hand-wringing a while ago.

Also compare Intel's libyami behaviour:
<https://github.com/01org/libyami/blob/0aef8be5122f7ef917258aafcdb44a22bdb0c1c8/vaapi/vaapipicture.cpp#L65>
<https://github.com/01org/libyami/blob/0aef8be5122f7ef917258aafcdb44a22bdb0c1c8/vaapi/VaapiBuffer.cpp#L86>
with use in the official encoding example:
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/tree/test/encode/h264encode.c#n1764>.

- Mark