I also do the same kind of work with ffmpeg. Now i have realized
encoding the YUV420p to raw h264 (not in mpeg4 container) and send this
encoded video stream h264 to client to play, and that works. But the main
problem is that the efficiency of encoding is so low that there are only
10-15 frames per second( I want 25fps or higher). Do you have the same
problem? My codec parameters are following:
    pCodecContext->bit_rate = 400000;
    pCodecContext->width = 352;
    pCodecContext->height = 288;
    pCodecContext->time_base.num = 1;
    pCodecContext->time_base.den = 25;
    pCodecContext->gop_size = 10;
    pCodecContext->max_b_frames = 2;
    pCodecContext->pix_fmt = PIX_FMT_YUV420P;

    By the way, until now my application only support video stream. I also
want to use a container(maybe a TS or MP4 container) to carry both the two
streams (audio and video streams). We can share the design point with each
other.