Hi Markus,

thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

>  > As I said, rsyslog itself uses plugins. I have no control over who
>  > writes and loads which plugins (neither would I like to have to
;)).
>  > What happens if another (maybe not-yet-written) plugin also uses
> libdbi
>  > and ALSO calls dbi_initialize()? I guess this is not supported. If
> so,
>
> Do you have any experimental data which indicate that there will be a
> problem?

No, this was so far just a theoretical thought. I so far saw no reason
to back it with actual data.

> I don't mean to claim that there is no problem, but I reckon
> that both plugins, when linked to libdbi, would load the drivers
> separately and maintain these copies separately. That is, you'll waste
> some memory but the plugins and the loaded drivers should not
> interfere.

That sounds logical.

> Would rsyslog be suitable to run such a test, e.g. by
> plugin? This is an interesting problem also for other projects which
> use a plugin system and libdbi.

I can do that with rsyslog. Actually, I just need to remove an if() that
guards multiple instances from my plugin to call libdbi init more than
once. I'll try to do that Monday. Let you know the results when I have
them. It will probably not a very in-depth test, but at least it can
provide some idea of how things happen to work.

>  > A second question is on the status of the Ingres/mSQL and Oracle
>  > drivers. I hope it is OK to post here (it's a one-timer and I'd
like
>  > save me another mailing list subscription).
>  >

> Unfortunately there is only rare and irregular feedback on the
> non-core drivers. However, as "insert" statements are a prerequisite
> to do anything useful with a driver, I'd suspect that these should
> work ok. As for the database engines you mentioned, Ingres is the one
> that was added last. I assume it supports basic functionality. Oracle
> has been around a little longer, and there have been some bug reports
> and patches in the past, so I'd also say it is going to work. I
> can't recall any feedback about mSQL though, and I'm not sure if
> anyone on this list is currently using it. As a rule of thumb you
> may want to steer your users towards the core drivers (firebird,
> mysql, pgsql, sqlite, sqlite3) and leave the other drivers as an
> option that will require some end-user testing.

Understood. It's basically what I am doing:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-omlibdbi.html

I just notice that you don't list openTDS as a core driver. Any problems
with that one. Or have you just overlooked it? I probably have an actual
use case to run it against Sybase soon.

Rainer