Eric,

I think it is necessary to push back on the following statement as
extensively as possible.

 But I’ve never heard of a case in which a user has been punished merely
> for cybercircumventing. I’d love to hear of such a situation.

As Amin hints, there are strongly rooted concerns regarding the origin and
affiliations of the individuals providing VPNs within Iran. If one takes,
for example, the VPN provider Joorabhaa, which operates with a .ir domain,
hosted in-country and accepts online payments from domestic banks, it
should be clear that this VPN should be considered completely compromised.
The difference between whether its run by the government or
an entrepreneur is negligible, particularly absent an effective rule of
law. Furthermore, in Syria there have been similar allegations of malicious
VPN services and tainted binaries of popular tools that connect to
suspicious servers. Let's be unequivocally clear, there is no evil bit --
no method of ascertaining the ownership of the records collected your
antifiltering service -- until they are used against you. I would imagine
we could build quite a list of suspect providers, if it were not for the
fact that the people with that knowledge are sitting in Evin Prison.

I believe this is very inappropriate advice and the scenario outlined
should not be considered theoretical by anyone that is responsible for the
security of endangered populations.

Cordially,
Collin

*Collin David Anderson*