Christopher Soghoian:
> Jake,
>
> The section of Skype's privacy policy that describes (with no real detail)
> the assistance they provide to law enforcement agencies is exactly the same
> text that was present before Microsoft bought the company.

What was it before it was sold to Ebay or whatever companies owned it
before Ebay?

> (See, for example:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100701074213/http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/privacy/general/
> )
>
> I am just as skeptical of Skype's security as anyone else on this list.
> This lack of trust pre-dates the purchase by Microsoft.

Oh, yes, I agree entirely. There was however a *huge* change in the
protocol and/or the network when they purchased it:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft/

> I've tried, and failed over the years to get any data at all about Skype
> and law enforcement surveillance from the company.

Have you found anything regarding how they take requests for data? For
example - a fax template? :)

> I have better relationship with Microsoft, who are surprisingly open with
> me when discussing privacy and surveillance issues relating to
> hotmail/live/outlook and Bing. Unfortunately, I've not been able to learn
> anything from my existing contacts at Microsoft about Skype. That part of
> the company seems to be continuing their long practice of secrecy regarding
> surveillance issues.

Perhaps it would be worth an open letter?

All the best,
Jake