You should also include Guardian's projects:

Gibberbot
Ostel/ostn no?

That said, thus far, neither redphone nor those over listed rivals skype or
Google hangouts quality of transmission.

This is not meant to detract from them, its more a question, is a revenue
based model the only option to ensure high enough quality to attract users
and grow? If not, what else can be done to increase the quality of these
tools and ensure ongoing responsiveness to a user base that will demand
more and better features in future?