Hi,

FWIW, our PKI site with our measurements and data sets gets reported as
"100% blocked" by GreatFire. ;) I wonder how I should interpret that. ;)

https://en.greatfire.org/search/all/https%3A//pki.net.in.tum.de

Ralph

On 12/23/2012 04:28 AM, Martin Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the founder of GreatFire.org. Let me try to explain how we run our
> tests. I'd very much like to get your feedback on how our system can
> become more accurate and transparent.
>
> The two Crypto.cat URLs being tested can be viewed here:
> https://en.greatfire.org/https/project.crypto.cat
> https://en.greatfire.org/https/blog.crypto.cat
>
> Both pages state that the URLs are "x% restricted in China" but "0%
> blocked". Next to the "Otherwise restricted" label, there's a link to
> "Throttling" explaining our definition which in turn refers
> to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling. A throttled
> websites is slow but not blocked. Labeling it as throttled also suggests
> that it's intentionally slow, which we cannot prove. A lot of foreign
> websites are slow in China, but there are big differences. For example,
> we strongly suspect that GMail and other Google services are actively
> throttled, to discourage people from using them. Other websites could
> simply be slow because of where they are hosted and the speed from China
> to that web host.
>
> On our test pages, if you click on any date in the calendar, you can
> view our detailed test data. You can for example see that the "Host IPs"
> for Crypto.cat returned when tested from the US and different locations
> in China are the same. You can also verify the HTML title and the
> download size, etc.
>
> Crypto.cat is not blocked in China now, but if it becomes popular, it
> will most likely be blocked. If they use DNS poisoning you'd have to
> setup mirror websites. If they block the IP, however, you can rotate the
> IP addresses to get around it. We offer a service that does this
> at https://unblock.cn.com and we'd be happy to help you reach as many
> users as possible in China.
>
> Feedback very welcome.
>
> Martin Johnson
> ---
> https://FreeWeibo.com <https://freeweibo.com/> - Uncensored, Anonymous
> Sina Weibo Search.
> https://GreatFire.org <https://greatfire.org/> - Monitoring Online
> Censorship In China.
> https://Unblock.cn.com <https://unblock.cn.com/> - We Can Unblock Your
> Website In China.
>

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Joss Wright
> <joss-liberationt...@pseudonymity.net
> <mailto:joss-liberationt...@pseudonymity.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 05:48:34PM +0100, Ralph Holz wrote:
>     >
>     > PS: While I was at it, I checked the current DNS rewriting for
>     > twitter.com <http://twitter.com>. It still points to a Korean IP.
>
>     Some of the more fun DNS poisoning in my experiments[1] were >=15
>     apparently unrelated servers across China all redirecting
>     torproject.org <http://torproject.org>
>     to 'tonycastro.net <http://tonycastro.net>' or 'tonycastro.com
>     <http://tonycastro.com>', and a separate set redirecting
>     to 'thepetclubfl.net <http://thepetclubfl.net>'.

> [...]

Ralph Holz
Network Architectures and Services
Technische Universität München
Phone +49 89 28918043
http://www.net.in.tum.de/de/mitarbeiter/holz/
PGP: A805 D19C E23E 6BBB E0C4  86DC 520E 0C83 69B0 03EF