Collin, (John),

All of this requires longer discussion, but I'll be brief here (for now).

Yes, we intend on making Black Watch open-source. And yes, we intend on
making data from Black Watch Open Data on censorship and surveillance.

WTR to your question Collin, Black Watch consists of client/server
environment that includes distributed testing clients that are located
across any number of network and at edge locations (ie ISP's, or specific
locations). The code runs on multiple platforms: android phones, windows
 boxes and a special Linux distribution that can be run off of small form
factor devices.

We developed Black Watch in part as a result of known issues with  rturtle
(the standard ONI testing tool). We needed something that could test for
"just-in-time",  and "just-in-place" filtering of the kind we were seen in
the former Soviet Union during elections/referendums, and other times of
social unrest. We also need a system capable of changing testing lists and
parameters rapidly, and giving the tester simultaneous feedback on results
(from their location, and a control location). Finally, we needed a system
that could test on mobile networks and devices.

I also want to stress that Black Watch is only one of the number sensor
suites we operate. We also have a system for  DNS monitoring/enumeration
(ZeroPoint), and  another that monitors specific (targeted) resources and
BGP/net block withdrawals (TrackR). We also monitor social media, which can
often give us important cues of what to look for, and where. It's through a
combination of these systems that we can begin to paint an accurate picture
of the topography of network  within a particular region. So, for example,
we detected a blip in Syrian Internet traffic today that included
significant route/BGP withdrawals  (that we will be writing up tomorrow).
Taken together, all of these data points allows to make certain assertions
about how the infrastructure changes over time, including points of
control.

Are we 100% certain of our analysis and results? Nope,real life is just too
messy to be quantified in technical terms and besides, that would be way
too much hubris. Often our analysis is inconclusive, takes way too much
time to assemble, is badly written, and can be just plain wrong. However,
doing it day in day out  (and as a team) means that we are getting much
better over time. In that respect, Syria has "forcing function" in the
development of these monitoring capabilities…

As I said, all of this requires a longer discussion.... but for the moment
I can tell you that we push out all the relevant information derived from
these systems through our Syria activity Facebook pages. Most of the
material is available in Arabic only, but we do put out a Cyber watch and
special reports in English, at least once every two weeks, and usually more
often. I think I posted one or two of these to this list, but could
certainly copy them here more regularly if there is interest. The landing
page to access the Syria facing resources is http://souriya.secdev.com (And
yes, there is a privacy policy you can review). All of this is still a far
cry from an Open Data describing censorship and surveillance, but it is a
step forward.

I'll try to respond to the other points in more detail this week. Both you
and John raise excellent questions that require a more details than I can
peck out on my iPhone while looking after two very energetic kids :-) As I
mentioned in my earlier email, we are waiting for word back from a funding
source that if successful will allow us to prioritize the Open Data project.

Best wishes,

Rafal

Sent by PsiPhone mobile. Please excuse typos or other oddities.

On 2013-01-06, at 6:16 PM, Collin Anderson <col...@averysmallbird.com>
wrote:

> This thought led me to a more general question: does Secdev have plans to
make data / methodology / code behind Black Watch and the other components
of Secdev's measures and study of openness available for peer review &
replication?

John's point drove at the heart of a concern of mine regarding Black
Watch's data collection methods -- based out of frustrations trying to
reconcile such research issues in my own work. When Telecomix investigated
aspects of Syria's filtering and surveillance apparatus, it became clear
that these functions had been devolved to the ISP from the start;
journalistic inquiries lent evidence to such understandings. This meant
differences in capacity and execution of more sophisticated blocking and
filtering rules, namely DPI on circumvention tools. These random variables
are especially more complex if the datasource is, for example, connections
made through open SOCKS and HTTP proxies.

It would be interesting -- and vitally important -- to see an argument that
these functions had migrated back up to the PDN, particularly since the
increase of human rights sanctions and public scrutiny should have limited
the willingness of external actors to participate in such a large project.

Could you speak on how Black Watch's methodology takes this into account,
whether you do seen specific evidence of such a change in the topology of
the control of the network, and how you handle potential incongruities in
your reporting?

Cordially,
Collin