Michael Rogers:
> On 21/02/13 18:32, Brian Conley wrote:
>> Any idea why the researchers would posit that iOS devices may be
>> less susceptible?
>
> iOS has several classes of encrypted storage. For the
> NSFileProtectionComplete class, the class key that protects the
> individual file keys is erased from memory 10 seconds after the device
> is locked. So I guess files encrypted with that class would be
> unrecoverable via a cold boot attack if the device had been locked for
> 10 seconds.

Any idea what they mean by erase? Just dereferenced or zeroed or filled
with random bytes? I mean, from actual code rather than claims? Some
disassembly would be useful here, I wonder if anyone has looked into it?

> http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_Security_May12.pdf
>
> Android uses a single key to protect all encrypted storage (excluding
> apps that use their own encryption, eg SQLCipher), so that key must be
> kept in memory whenever the device is running.

http://source.android.com/tech/encryption/android_crypto_implementation.html

It seems like one of the few times the use of something like TRESOR
would improve:
http://www1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/tresor

All the best,
Jake