I'm not sure that I would support ranking drug cartels as a less
technologically sophisticated threat than the government in Mexico.
While there isn't a lot of evidence that drug cartels have used
technologically sophisticated means to track down anonymous/pseudonymous
bloggers and journalists, corruption is sufficiently widespread that if
my life depended on it, I would assume that the drug cartels could have
access to the same information that the government has through bribery
and threats.

There are circumstances in which I would support the use of Cryptocat by
Mexican journalists (and it's certainly an improvement over sending
messages in the clear, which many Mexican journalists are doing) but
transmitting information which you would like to keep secret from drug
cartels is probably not one of them.

Eva Galperin
Global Policy Analyst
Electronic Frontier Foundation