On 13-03-21, at 06:58 , Andreas Bader <andreas.ba...@nachtpult.de> wrote:

> Louis Suárez-Potts:
>> One is tempted to suggest using other than Skype. Alternatives exist, and
>> these are secure, at least according to their claims. As well, Skype's code
>> is not transparent, in the way that other, open source, applications' are.
>>
>> louis
>
> What alternative do you exactly mean?
> I know some of them running under Linux, but I rarely know people using
> them.

I was pointed to:
http://wiki.ictd.asia/Secure_VoIP_Discussion_and_Tips

It's a pretty good page and I thank the suggester!

BTW, the issue that Eric mentioned to me off list was that, of course, even
though everyone knows it's probably imperfect, and lack of certain knowledge
leads to the anxiety of imperfection, we all still use it.

When I worked for large corporations, the policy was not to use it, regardless
of whatever security provisions were tacked on (for one, we used OTR). No way
to scrutinize proprietary works. Oddly, telephone was preferred! (Perhaps b/c
the anxiety was related to enduser recordings….) What I personally used to use,
and still do, on occasion, is SIP, in particular, SIIP+ZRTP. It's not even a
pain to use. But if one is doing journalism (or any other kind of communication
where there are constraints, exigencies), then we're back with Skype. It's not
bad. It's just not as verifiably not-bad as one would like.

-louis