Yes.  I meant that the superior technical solution could not provide
better branding/usability in my hypothetical example.  There are
plenty of examples of superior technologies having great branding.
Case in point is Procter & Gamble, which is successful in part because
it only makes marketing investments in products with superior
technologies because its research has consistently shown that
consumers aren't loyal to a product unless it demonstrates technical
merit in use.  In other words, you can persuade people to try your
product, but if it is not technically superior, they will use your
competitor's,