Hey!

Yosem contacted me and Geir (aka Crypho) on twitter and made us aware of
LibTech. He was also kind to forward to me the discussion on our product. So,
here's a short summary hopefully addressing your questions.

Crypho is a web app allowing teams to share confidential data. You can chat,
edit documents, share files in private spaces, in real-time or async
(everything is persisted). All data & keys are encrypted in the browser, so the
server only sees ciphertext. It focuses on businesses and will be marketed as
Software-as-a-Service. It does not provide anonymity, but focuses on data
confidentiality.

Technology wise, it consists of a thin server side written in Twisted &
ejabberd and a fat js client that is based on Backbone.js. Encryption uses
solely SJCL. In particular AES256 is used to encrypt the data, while El Gamal
ecc is used to share keys among members of a team. We are working hard on
ensuring a good security level and the injection attacks that Cooper mentioned
are all fixed. We have not yet had an independent security audit, but will
hopefully do so as soon as we can afford one.

We are aware of the potential problems of serving js. We will eventually ship
an installable app, but at the moment, with daily updates, ease of deployment
wins. That said, we also had a few interesting discussion with Mozilla folks
discussing potential ways of ensuring the authenticity of served js. It is a
direction we would like to explore in the future.

With regards to open-source: Crypho has been initially developed as
closed-source. However we both have been working in open-source for years and
during our trip to the US we decided to switch direction and open-source the
project. This will take time and will happen gradually. There are parts of the
app that are legacy code, and some have commercial licenses. As we progress
through removing them we hope to be releasing steadily components and
eventually the whole app.

Our focus at the moment is finding our market fit. This unfortunately slows
down everything else and eats up most of our time, but to code we need a
salary, so please bear with us :)

If any of you would like to try it out please go ahead. Needless to say, this
is not to be used as life-critical tool, but we sure appreciate feedback ;)

--
Yiorgis Gozadinos
www.crypho.com