(reply-to-list-only)

On Apr 23, 2013, at 16:39, Michael Allan <m...@zelea.com> wrote:

> Maybe there's a misunderstanding here.  The list subscribers are not
> responsible for the safe administration of the list.  The university
> alone is responsible.  It could never pass that responsibility on to
> the subscribers, even if it wanted to.

There's definitely a misunderstanding. I see mailing lists as fundamentally
normative negotiations with a foundation of acceptable use, whether
administered by Stanford or some other entity. Changing the entity that hosts a
mailman list is one of the most frictionless changes which a community can
agree to online. So, ultimately it's the list that requires persuasion (in my
opinion).

--Joe