Anyone using this list, or any other mailing list, or email in general,
should be cognizant of what they're doing.  It's not possible to fully
defend people from their own carelessness -- nor should we try, as this
invariably penalizes the clueful.

In this particular context, that means that users should (a) use a
sensible mail client (MUA, Mail User Agent) that presents the "To:"
"Cc:" and "Bcc:" fields and makes them available for editing and
(b) take the few seconds required to eyeball those and make sure they're
appropriate before sending.

It's not that I don't support the principle of least munging, because
I do -- and I do that because a lot of experience, some of it painful,
has proven it wise.  But in practice, it doesn't matter to me personally
because I've developed the habit of doing (a) and (b) with every message
I ever send, mailing list or not.  It's a good habit to have, and I *highly*
recommend it -- particularly for anyone who might suffer adverse
consequences as a result of a misdirected mail message.

My other recommendation would be that anyone in that situation subscribe
themselves from an alternate address (perhaps a throwaway at some
freemail site or another) and funnel the resulting mail stream back
to their main email account via fetchmail/procmail or similar plumbing.
Inadvertent exposure of an address like a9n3vx8v3t8zbf...@example.com
will pose a bit less risk.

Now, as to:

> Again, pending that decision, I recommend that the configuration be
> returned to its default setting.  The default is known to be safe.

It would be nice if it were that simple...but it's not.  Once upon a
time, when we were using a much smaller set of MUAs it might have been,
because they were, for the most part, written to spec and crafted to
Play Nice with each other.  However, today, we have a plethora of MUAs,
many of them thrown together haphazardly with no regard for either formal
specifications as articulated in the relevant RFCs, or many decades of
best practices/netiquette.  (Note, for example, how many MUAs encourage
users to top-post and full-quote, both of which are not only very rude,
but are worst practices in effective, efficient email communication.)
This situation has gotten markedly worse over the past few years with
the rise of mobile devices and the corresponding increase in the number
of MUAs: the behavior of some MUAs on those ranges from questionable
to dubious to wrong to full-blown batshit insane.

Alternate version: even if the list does everything right, it can be and
probably will be neatly undercut by the horribly-broken WhizBangMail 0.37,
which, as you're reading this, some developer is about to release and
somebody on this list will install on their device tomorrow.

Thus: there is no such thing as "safe" in this context.  There are
too many moving parts and some of those parts are human beings.

---rsk