It might be that "PRISM" is merely the end user tool for use by analysts at the
NSA, and that the actual gathering of info falls under another program
designation, with a much larger budget.

PRISM isn't really even that illegal, as long as they discard communications
considered to be "American". The NSA has been listening to radio signals from
all over the world for years, from military bases strategically positioned to
pickup radio signals of interest, amongst other types of communication data.
This is really just the extension of similar ideas, to a new form of
communications, the novel part of the whole thing is that it leverages the fact
that so many tech companies are located in the US and that a ton of the
internet backbone is run through America.

-Andrew