He did work in the intelligence community so maybe he has a better idea
than us. My guess is that asylum in Iceland is ideal if everything worked
out, but he doesn't think it is strong enough to resist U.S. pressure.

Hong Kong is stable and modern, so he is less likely to be killed or
kidnapped by local criminals on CIA payroll, and at the same time the
Chinese government is less likely to cooperate with the U.S. than most
other stable governments around the world.

It's definitely a risky choice, but it's not like there is really any safe
ones. I think the gamble boils down to whether China sees more value in
trading him off for some other diplomatic concession or keep him safe as a
constant reminder of U.S. hypocrisy.