On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 01:48:23PM -0700, x z wrote:
> @Rich, those are good movie scripts :-). But it does not work for 9 firms,
> and hundreds of execs all with diverse values and objectives.

Two responses.

"hundreds"?  Not necessary.  Not desirable, from the NSA's point of view,
either.  One person per firm would suffice, and they need not be an executive.
Surely you can't think for a moment that the NSA is incapable of placing
its own people on the datacenter staff of any major operation?

Second, how's this for a movie script?

(quoting myself)

> Annnnd I'd also, by the way, develop custom lookalike hardware.  (With
> the NSA's budget, this could be done with chump change.)  Who's going to
> open up a Cisco router and yank a board and look at it closely enough
> to figure out that it didn't come from Cisco?

Now quoting this (h/t to Rob Slade):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/95282643/Backdoors-Embedded-in-DoD-Microchips-From-China

        This paper is a short summary of the first real world detection
        of a backdoor in a military grade FPGA.  Using an innovative
        patented technique we were able to detect and analyse in the
        first documented case of its kind, a backdoor inserted into the
        Actel/Microsemi ProASIC3 chips. The backdoor was found to exist
        on the silicon itself, it was not present in any firmware loaded
        onto the chip. Using Pipeline Emission Analysis (PEA), a
        technique pioneered by our sponsor, we were able to extract
        the secret key to activate the backdoor. This way an attacker
        can disable all the security on the chip, reprogram crypto and
        access keys, modify low-level silicon features, access unencrypted
        configuration bitstream or permanently damage the device. Clearly
        this means the device is wide open to intellectual property theft,
        fraud, re-programming as well as reverse engineering of the design
        which allows the introduction of a new backdoor or Trojan. Most
        concerning, it is not possible to patch the backdoor in chips
        already deployed, meaning those using this family of chips have
        to accept the fact it can be easily compromised or it will have
        to be physically replaced after a redesign of the silicon itself.

---rsk