Hold on...
On Jun 11, 2013 12:27 AM, "Yosem Companys" <compa...@stanford.edu> wrote:

<snip> The distinction between direct or indirect access is semantic, not
substantive, and likely irrelevant to most Americans. <snip>

And then...

> As I said, a recent NY Times article spoke specifically of the embedding
of NSA employees at US tech firms via firms' corporate legal departments,
and we know how it happened at AT&T, with the employee getting cart blanche
to do whatever he wanted at the firm and take as much data as he wanted
with no questions asked.

<highlight > we know how it happened at AT&T, with the employee getting
cart blanche to do whatever he wanted
<snip>

That's not substantively different from a FISC finding being issued in each
case? *that * is EXACTLY the difference between direct and indirect and it
IS substantive.

This AT&T issue involved an individual being trusted solely to "do the
right thing." Whether we like it or not, an FISC ruling is a big
difference, even if is not public, for the individual being monitored by a
stalker ex, for example.

Indirect access doesn't make it more acceptable, but direct could and
should make it LESS.

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net>
wrote:

>> x z:
>> > @Jacob, I agree with your points regarding American exceptionalism.
>> > @Eugen, to prepare for the worst scenario is one thing, to advocate
some
>> > shady rumor as fact is another.
>> > @Rich, those are good movie scripts :-). But it does not work for 9
firms,
>> > and hundreds of execs all with diverse values and objectives.
>> > @Nadim, when you say "we all always 'knew' this was happening", I don't
>> > know what "this" refers to. Is it NSA surveillance, or is it the
"direct
>> > access" bit?
>> >
>> > To me, the crucial point is the "*direct access*", and also Guardian's
>> > claim of these firms "willingly participating" in PRISM. I argued that
>> > "direct access" is untrue in my previous email, but none of your
replies
>> > (except Rich's) are relevant to my arguments.
>>
>> What would you call a FISA API for government agents to query a system
>> and return data on a target? Would you call that direct access or an
>> indirect access? If Google runs the FISA API server, does that make it
>> more or less direct than if the FISA API server is a blackbox run by the
>> NSA?
>>

>> > The "direct access" bit is what made this story sensational. Without
this
>> > bit, the story would be much less juicy but more true. In the long run,
>> > truth gives more power than lies. Washington Post has backed down to
>> > reality, for which I applaud their judgment. Guardian has not, and
keeps on
>> > defending their misinformation and bad reporting, for which I resent
deeply.

>> You don't know the truth and you seem to think you do. The story that is
>> important is that Google makes one claim, while the NSA slide makes
>> another. Note that the law doesn't allow Google to even tell the press
>> the whole truth.
>>
>> > If Snowden and Greenwald do not mislead the world on 'direct access"
and
>> > just report it rationally, I'd applaud their courage. Now I think
Snowden