On 2013-06-11, at 7:31 AM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 08:21:40PM -0400, Catherine Roy wrote:
>> On 10/06/2013 7:37 PM, Travis McCrea wrote:
>>> Opera is being released now on Webkit, though I am sure you will still have
>>> legacy opera users... I think you could put this issue a little further
>>> down on your list.
>>
>> I guess using Cryptocat will also be further down my list.
>
> You will find that proprietary systems will receive less (frequently
> none) support. This is due to difficulties developing for proprietary
> systems, but also due to effective impossibility to varify
> security of proprietary systems. So open source is at a distinct
> advantage here.
>
> For an end user interested in secure communication it is always a
> good idea to pick the most supported platform. In case of browsers,
> that will be Firefox and Chromium (not Chrome), in that order of
> precedence.
>
> In general, browsers have giant vulnerability surfaces, and should
> not be used for anything serious. A little security is a dangerous thing.

This has been getting a lot better very quickly, to a point where I'm
optimistic about the future. Specifically I'm very excited about the situation
with Chrome OS on Chromebooks. Chrome OS is currently (I believe) one of the
most secure operating systems out there that still manages to be very highly
functional and usable. That's why we make sure Cryptocat is specifically
compatible and usable on it.

I would trust Cryptocat on a Chromebook more than Pidgin-OTR on
Windows/Mac/Linux any day of the week. (Of course this is only my preference,
but Pidgin-OTR's sheer number of un-patched 0days and lack of auditing is still
a real issue.)

NK