I prefer DuckDuckGo as well - although the other option is convincing
StartPage to be less censorious...

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Cooper Quintin
<coo...@radicaldesigns.org>wrote:

> The default engine was Google for a while until Mike Perry and I changed
> it.  We chose StartPage over DDG because while both being privacy aware,
> start page had more relevant search results.  However these days I
> personally find that DDG's results are often more relevant than start
> page.  They also have a page that does not require cookies or JS at
> https://duckduckgo.com/html/
>
> Cooper Quintin
> Technology Director
> radicalDESIGNS
> PGP Key ID: 75FB 9347 FA4B 22A0 5068 080B D0EA 7B6F F0AF E2CA
>
> On 06/24/2013 01:54 PM, Michael Carbone wrote:
> > DuckDuckGo seems to work well with Tor and without
> > javascript/cookies/etc. They also run it as a hidden service so you
> > can keep your search in the Tor cloud -- I don't know of other search
> > engines that do that: 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > On 06/24/2013 04:38 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> >> Jillian C. York:

> >> That is a good question - I think it is open to discussion.
> >> Generally speaking, I think that a censorship free search engine
> >> that requires no cookies, no javascript, no plugins, uses HTTPS and
> >> is fine with Tor is the best bet.
> >
> >> What meets that requirement right now? Oh also, with search results
> >> that are relevant, useful and so on?
> >
> >> I honestly don't even know anymore. :(
> >
> >> All the best, Jacob
> >
> >> -- Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change
> >> password by emailing moderator at compa...@stanford.edu or changing
> >> your settings at
> >> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
> >

> > --

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*