On 2013-07-11, at 4:32 PM, Andy Isaacson <a...@hexapodia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23:25PM -0700, Mitar wrote:
>> BTW. Even Tor has centralized directory servers.
>
> It's incredibly misleading to imply that the Tor DA design provides a
> similar threat to a server-hosted-crypto proprietary privacy app.  (I'm
> not accusing you of intentionally misleading, but the claim that you're
> repeating is misleading.)
>
> The Tor DAs are run by multiple individuals in diverse legal
> jurisdictions, and their sole purpose is to make a publicly checkable
> attestation of public facts.  The implementation run by the DAs is open
> source and has been developed in public according to a public design for
> a decade, in accordance with Kerckhoff's Principle.

I agree with your post generally, but I must beg your pardon and address
something a bit off-topic:
A year ago, two DAs were subject to a DDoS. This prevented people from
connecting to the Tor network very substantially. The network was largely
inaccessible for a few hours. If DDoSing two computers can do this, you have a
problem. Let's not downplay the fact that directory servers are indeed
centralized and fragile. Having six servers spread across multiple IP address
spaces doesn't exactly solve this problem.

NK