On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Shava Nerad <shav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chrome security guy takes it up with the Mashable article author.
>
> Chrome guy:  This is what users expect!  They expect to see their
> passwords in plain text.  You are expecting us to provide them with a false
> sense of security.
>
> um...  alrighty then...
>
> yrs,
> SN

He is being quite condescending, but that's not what he's saying. He's
saying that masking the password would make it seem safer than it really
is, i.e. that it's not as trivially obtainable by a simple piece of
software. That's not an intuitive concept for users, but it's a choice the
Chrome team deliberately made so as to not mislead them. This is a fine
stance, and not one deserving of so much bad press.