On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 11:26:21AM +0300, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> On 2013-08-08, at 11:53 PM, Mike Perry <mikepe...@torproject.org> wrote:
> > It is profoundly encouraging to see that people of such courage and
> > integrity as the Lavabit staff exist, and are willing to put everything
> > on the line to stand up against this madness.
>
> +1.
> For what it's worth, and even though I think it's pretty unlikely that
> Cryptocat will receive such an order, I've posted a pledge on our Twitter
> feed:
> https://twitter.com/cryptocatapp/status/365733575351480321

Would implementing some sort of build assurance thing like Tor have
done recently help here? So if the government said "please put a
back door for us", you could legitimately say "sorry, not possible
without people noticing". That's an even better option than
"crypto.cat is now closed, you may like to complain to the US
government about that."

Note that I haven't yet had a chance to read about the verified build
stuff in any detail, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to verify
such a build against what's on one of the browser extension / addon
stores. So maybe I'm talking nonsense ;)
--
Liberationtech list is public and archives are searchable on Google. Too many