On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb
<ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2013, at 19:09, Kyle Maxwell <ky...@xwell.org> wrote:
>> The State is, in general, very jealous about its monopoly on
>> things like violence and taxation, and (modulo anarchists, many of
>> whom I love and respect) the majority of people are okay with those
>> things.
>

> I don't think most people are necessairly the same - extreme example, but I
> don't think I've ever heard "normal" (sure define "normal"!) people being ok
> with violence when carried out by states.

Sure they are: police and military, for example, are examples of the
state's near-monopoly on (legal) violence. Exceptions exist, like
self-defense, but even then, if a cop is present and somebody pulls
out a gun for defense against somebody else in the area, it almost
certainly won't go well.

So the point is only that it's not sufficient to say that "hacking is
bad when people do it, okay when the government does it". We have to
slice a little more to get to the heart of the issue.

--
@kylemaxwell