On 10/04/2013 10:20 AM, Nick wrote:
> Brilliant, thanks for sharing. Would it be feasible and easy to work
> with Jitsi to have some sort of first startup thing where you could
> choose "ostel" and these settings were filled out automatically?

We are working on that. With CSipSimple on Android, we already have both
Ostel and OSTN (federated, self-hosted instances based no our cnofig) as
options in their wizard.

The Jitsi team is not quite as friendly or communicate, but hopefully we
can be added to their default list AND we can help them ensure a
secure-by-default configuration in future releases.

> This is already great, though, and looks easy enough that it
> wouldn't take much coaxing even for a very tech unsavvy person to
> manage it. Which is frankly a suprise, and I am delighted to hear.

Yes, at least in the case where you are calling Jitsi to Jitsi in
relatively standard networks, it all works well. You can also do
client-to-server encrypted messaging via OStel on Jitsi as well, though
for some reason Jitsi's support for OTR encryption doesn't work via the
SIP messaging channel.

+n

p.s. if you are interested in become an OSTN Operator and running your
own instance/node, we are starting to post more detailed information and
build that community up:

https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/ostel/wiki