I am not sure we can fix the problem ("global surveillance system") with
technology at all. Sure, personally I am a big fan of more usable and
safer tools to communicate. They make us technology/privacy enthusiasts
happy.

Do ordinary citizen care about e-mail anymore anyway?

I would assume, that most citizen communication nowadays is done by
Facebook, SMS, WhatsApp. Roughly in that order. Who cares about e-mail,
not to speak about secure e-mail anymore?

Facebook is just too convenient.

My hypothesis is: If there was a perfectly usable and perfectly safe
alternative to Facebook, the majority would still continue to use
Facebook. Just because Facebook reached critical mass, almost everyone
is using it. The fact that almost everyone is using it is what it make
attractive. And generally, people are lazy - once accustomed to
something, they are unwilling to learn a new tool.

Before we can get safer communication tools, we need to involve more
people. I would assume, that the majority of the Open Source community
still does not work on security and usability. Let's not try to convert
the existing community, let's try to grow the community.

We have a education problem in the first place.

- Why should I encrypt my communication if I have nothing to hide?
- How is government supposed to catch terrorists if everyone encrypts
their communication?

Oh, and don't try to convince me on these two. I am already convinced.

If the majority of people would care about politics, privacy and so
forth, I am sure we would have enough people working on privacy tools
and founding.

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif):