I've been super impressed with the recent Citizen Lab work. I wanted
to pull out a couple choice quotes for folks who may have only skimmed
this.

------------

Citizen Lab researchers verified that LINE chat traffic is sent
unencrypted over 3G networks on the latest version of the client. This
behaviour is unusual given the fact that the client does encrypt chat
traffic over wifi connections.

I found a couple additional bits on this on Twitter via thegrugq:
 - http://www.telecomasia.net/blog/content/line-vulnerable-man-middle-attack
 - "LINE is used by the Thai Democrat party for their internal comms.
It's terrible."

------------

Reverse engineering of the most recent Android version of LINE
revealed that when the user’s country is set to China during
installation of the application it will enable censorship
functionality by downloading a list of censored words from Naver’s
server, and then block the transmission of any messages that contain
any of those keywords. ... The presence of censorship functionality
has been confirmed as far back as v3.4.2, released on January 18 2013,
using APK files found at AndroidDrawer. ... In our analysis, we were
able to retrieve two lists from the server: Version 20 (223 keywords)
and 21 (370 keywords), which suggests that there have been at least 21
iterations of the keyword block list. ... Citizen Lab Research Fellow
Jason Q. Ng has translated both the original keyword list discovered
by @hirakujira, and the latest versions we extracted from Chinese to
English and describes the context behind them. The first keyword list
discovered by @hirakujira is described in a series of blog posts (full
list available here) and the most recent keyword list uncovered by
Citizen Lab and translated by Ng is available here. The first keyword
list from @hirakujira contains content related to domestic Chinese
politics, human rights, and sensitive political events–many of which
are rather obscure and only mentioned in media known for being
critical of the CPC.

-tom