On 2014-05-04 01:02, Nick wrote:
https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/crx is the documentation
that mentions the signing. There are a couple of scripts there that
will create a signed .crx file. I also wrote one a while ago[0].

I don't know how crx files integrate with Google's developer account
or Google store / play / whatever stuff, as I've not used them, but
IIRC if you distribute the extension yourself, any updates have to
be signed by the same private key.

It's referenced in the documentation, but when I try to do this, I get the error

"Files packaged as .crx can not be uploaded directly. Please upload a zip file that contains your extension or app as described here."

I suspect that this is old documentation (back when people could distribute their own .crx files). Could also be something that's for enterprise developers who have the ability to provide custom crx files across a huge deployment.

I'll send an email to the chromium-extensions list and let you know what I find. =)

best,
Griffin