On 10/03/2014 12:57 PM, Greg wrote:
Dear Natanael,

Call up Red Hat and ask them about how they manage their open source
Linux distribution.

Oh, I am very familiar with the Red Hat model, and I respect it greatly, and am in fact pursuing something similar.

Red Hat works because it is complicated, technical infrastructure software that requires a great deal of support, custom solutions, etc.

That is not the market Espionage finds itself in, and so I cannot use their business model for it.

You could also do a 3-clause BSD license for the library (i.e., business logic), then separate out the GUI part and put whatever license you want on the bundle. You could even do deterministic builds of the library so that anyone can check the library inside the bundle against what they themselves can compile. That's not ideal, but it's certainly better than restricting access to the entire source. (And of course if you want to continue to do restricted access to the GUI code, that'd be even better.)

What's more, any free software ideologue has the ability to try their hand at making an alternative GUI that's more user-friendly than the one you get paid directly by users to produce. (Though judging from the history and ethos of free software usability I'd say that's quite unlikely to happen.)

-Jonathan

Kind regards,
Greg Slepak