Hi Steve,

I think Inna has worries to submit her ID through an insecure online
channel. I know the contact form use HTTPS but is there a way that she
use the PGP encryption feature that Facebook announced lately?

Thank you.
Hassen

On 04 يول, 2015 ص 03:54, Steve Weis wrote:
> Hello Inna. I work at Facebook and have contacted you from my work
> account.
>
> I'm not in a position to discuss the merits of the policy.
>
> Regardless, for future reference, under "Option 2" there is a set of
> acceptable forms of ID that are not government issued:
> https://www.facebook.com/help/159096464162185
>
> For example, a "membership card" with your birthdate and a piece of
> mail would suffice.
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Inna Malina <p.i...@lycos.com
> <mailto:p.i...@lycos.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am a Ukrainian Canadian activist and my country of origin is at
>     war. I created several groups on Facebook, including Russian
>     Speaking Canada for Peace, a political forum, which debunks
>     Kremlin run propaganda, and has over 1800 members. I also run
>     fundraisers on Facebook to help orphaned children evacuated from
>     war-torn areas of Ukraine. I am on Facebook since 2007 and don’t
>     pretend to be someone I am not: the birthday, contact info, photos
>     are all mine and my friends know who I am. When Russia invaded and
>     annexed Ukrainian territory Crimea, I changed my legal last name
>     to a pseudonym, to protect my family and people I work with
>     outside social media from bullying by Putin supporters, since the
>     threats and bullying online were/are abundant.
>
>     Yesterday, on Canada Day, Facebook blocked my account (obviously
>     following a report from someone who tries to stop my activism) and
>     demanded to confirm my name by submitting my ID online. Instead of
>     ID I submitted a letter saying that I get regular threats and feel
>     rather uncomfortable sending my identification documents via
>     insecure online channels. I did add that I can show them to a
>     legitimate representative or even in Skype, but they can’t expect
>     a photocopy of a driving license or social insurance card to be
>     e-mailed or submitted through some suspicious form online.
>
>     Only last month Facebook has come under fire for biased political
>     blocking of accounts of Russian opposition and Ukrainian activists
>     who are constantly cyber-attacked by the paid army of Putin
>     trolls. The petition, which has already collected close to 15000
>     signatures, states:  “Facebook indiscriminately reacts to these
>     reports by blocking the accounts of prominent Ukrainian public
>     figures and Russian dissenters. Lately, the bans have become so
>     frequent that we can now claim that Facebook has become an
>     efficient tool of the Kremlin.”
>     https://www.change.org/p/facebook-stop-political-blocking-on-facebook
>

>     Facebook "real name" policy has also come under scrutiny multiple
>     times and has been called discriminatory. Petition by performers,
>     which collected over 40000 signatures asserts:  “Facebook tells us
>     that "it looks like you're not using your real name," before
>     requiring us to change it. We cannot emphasize enough that
>     Facebook is a poor arbiter of what is or isn't a "real name."
> [...]

Hassen Selmi
Incident Security Handler
Access | accessnow.org
Helpline PGP ID: 0x32E8A2BC
Helpline PGP Fingerprint: 6CE6 221C 98EC F399 A04C 41B8 C46B ED33 32E8 A2BC
Personal PGP ID: 0x3EF06D5C
Personal PGP Fingerprint: AE55 2E3E 884A AFED 17A6 23B1 D7CA 4CBD 3EF0 6D5C
Join the Access team - we're hiring! <https://www.accessnow.org/about/jobs>