Want to learn about the Pegasus iOS spyware that targeted human rights
activist Ahmed Mansoor last August? Join us at our hack workshop next
Tuesday! We will be discussing the Pegasus kernel exploits in detail,
including a live demo of the exploits in action on OS X.

Date: Tuesday, January 24, 5:00-6:00 pm
Location: Shriram 262

The Pegasus spyware (as featured in the New York Times
<https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/technology/apple-software-vulnerability-ios-patch.html>,
The Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/26/israeli-firm-accused-of-creating-iphone-spyware>,
Wired
<https://www.wired.com/2016/08/hacking-group-selling-ios-vulnerabilities-state-actors/>,
and more
<https://citizenlab.org/2016/08/million-dollar-dissident-iphone-zero-day-nso-group-uae/>)
was written by an Israeli company called the NSO Group, and used to target
Ahmed Mansoor, an internationally recognized human rights activist from the
United Arab Emirates. Pegasus exploited several iOS vulnerabilities,
including three zero-day vulnerabilities not known to Apple, worth an
estimated one million dollars on the black market.

We will be analyzing a use-after-free vulnerability that was used to take
control of the kernel. The content will be technical, so experience at
least at the level of CS107 is preferred. The demo will be done on OS X
Yosemite version 10.10.5.