please take me off this list, the unsubscribe didn't work

________________________________
From: liberationtech <liberationtech-boun...@lists.stanford.edu> on behalf of
R. Jason Cronk <r...@privacymaverick.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:15 PM
To: liberationtech
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Decentralization

There are numerous issues with a "decentralized" company seeking funding.
Investors seek some sort of monopolistic control which allows for rent seeking
activity, which turns an investor's small investment into a larger return.
That's why you often find investor looking for patentable ideas (government
granted monopoly) or something that has traction in the market (potentially
market monopoly, switching effects, network effects, economies of scale, etc).
Decentralized startups almost always lack these.

Think about decentralization outside the world of software. As example,
consider family farming versus  factory farming. "Hello Ms. Investor, I'm going
to give chickens away and let everybody start their own family farm and sell
local eggs to their local market." versus "Hello Ms. Investor, I've been
granted a patent on my process to artificially grow eggs in a lab. Nobody will
be able to compete with me in the egg market for the next 17 years." As an
investor, where are you going to earn a return?

This funding problem is part of the reason, in my opinion, for Bitcoin's
relative slow adoption curve as a payment mechanism. Nobody has an incentive to
push it in the market because they ultimately won't be able to reap the
rewards. If I'm Paypal, I can give everyone $10 in their account to send to
other people, until I get a million users. If I'm a bitcoin wallet provider and
I tried that, everyone would get their $10 in bitcoin and go to another wallet
provider.

That being said, there are some potential business models for businesses
pushing decentralization

1) Provide a centralized service to the decentralized businesses. All
McDonald's look the same because they are centrally controlled (though not
centrally owned). Many Chinese take out menus look the same not because they
are centrally controlled but because just a handful of companies produce those
menus.
2) Find a way to extract rent from the decentralized businesses. The technology
for matching passengers and drivers could easily be decentralized for an Uber
competitor but people want consistency. The competitor could license their name
to driver's (and validate those drivers for criminal background checks for
instance). So any driver could join the network but you can pay slightly more
to have one that has been verified. Of course their might be competition
setting in but there is where market penetration comes in. I even say I'm going
to call Uber when I mean Lyft.
3) Best in class and support. Linux is open source software. Anyone can run it.
People still pay Red Hat for support.
4) Control the initial supply of something. Anyone can mine ZCash but the
company has a quantity of pre-mined coins. Anyone can grow marijuana but if you
create a new strain and get demand there, you have the first seeds to sell.

That's all I can think of immediately. It is not an easy problem.

Jason