Quickly now ... I've been building an open source-based, public
creative commons structured, non-profit, members-supported
citizens-based network for twenty-years.

Here is the sad truth:

1. The general public doesn't care ... enough anyway, they want online
spaces that work for them - the more familiar the better
2. People who support this model in theory don't donate, foundations
mostly just give freedom lip service online or fund elites
3. The technologists who could build out the open source tool we use don't help
4. The resistance by most people to signing up for anything new makes
it almost impossible to serve new communities
5. The economic and social diversity of people we can reach via
Facebook is far more inclusive than on our own platform
6. We do generate donations from our neighborhood participants, and
much less so from our forums that are about political city and
state-wide politics, but all the venture money in NextDoor and their
gated community model is finally eroding our public model where we've
been strongest (I'll take an "open" Facebook Group any day over the
NextDoor connect all the wealthier homeowners model any day!)

So, if you value the power people get in democracy from connecting
with each other for two-way conversations, you need to reach them
where they are.

When it comes to Facebook, I've concluded that shaping it for good,
for more local online group formation in public life (my big passion),
will generate more democratic value than ignoring it.

Thanks,
Steve
Steven Clift  -  Executive Director, E-Democracy.org
   cl...@e-democracy.org  -  +1 612 234 7072
   @democracy  -  http://linkedin.com/in/netclift
   http://1radionews.com - My radio app