There is a "privacy divide" emerging issue there.

Using FB may help to reach the masses, but some people (activists and
not) will never use a FB account and will be unreachable.
Same for Google: for instance, the link below to Google Docs is
unavailable with my privacy setting.

Some open source and selfhosted alternative to FB is listed here
<http://alternativeto.net/software/facebook/?license=opensource&platform=self-hosted>

Alberto

-
TagMeNot