In 2018, Cambridge Analytica, the data mining and analytics company, dominated
the news about political campaigning and data. But they are not alone in using
personal data for political influence. Since we began actively documenting this
industry, our global list has expanded to 329 organisations, and it is still
growing.

We started our research by examining a few news articles that profiled data
brokers and data analytics companies. From there, we began a series of in-depth
investigations into the context of these companies – the work they do, their
outreach and how they fit into a landscape of other organisations and actors.
We reviewed the websites and promotional materials they produced, we conducted
open-ended interviews with some of their staff members, and we attended
industry events. Through this research, we mapped a digital campaigning
industry whose breadth and depth far surpassed our expectations. This overview
is the start of the a series in which we unpack our findings.

There are two features of these organisations that are important to their
impact on democratic processes. Firstly, most of them are for-profit companies,
with the primary aim of generating, maintaining and growing revenue, a business
model that inevitably guides their decisions rather than traditional political
metrics such as voter participation. Secondly, the organisations are, for the
most part, hired for their expertise in data technologies rather than their
knowledge or engagement in politics. Political campaigning is now often largely
mediated by data-driven technology organisations.

https://ourdataourselves.tacticaltech.org/posts/whos-working-for-vote/

This article is part of The Influence Industry, a series looking at the global
business of using data in elections.

--
https://tacticaltech.org
@info_activism