In the two raucous hours that ensued, a question was posed to me: "If you could 
have cast the deciding vote against Hitler, would you have done so?" I replied, 
"No, but I would have no moral objection to putting a bullet through his 
skull." In essence, I adopted a stronger line -- a 'plumb-line' as Benjamin 
Tucker phrased it -- on eliminating Hitler as a threat. 

I consider such a bullet to be an act of self-defense in a manner that a ballot 
could never be. The difference is that a bullet can be narrowly aimed at a 
deserving target; a ballot attacks innocent third parties who must endure the 
consequences of the politician I have assisted into a position of unjust power 
over their lives. Whoever puts a man into a position of unjust power -- that 
is, a position of political power -- must share responsibility for every right 
he violates thereafter. 

The question then shifted: "If there had been no other strategies possible, 
would you have voted against Hitler?" This postulated a fantasy world which 
canceled out one of the basic realities of existence: the constant presence of 
alternatives. In essence, the question became "if the fabric of reality were 
rewoven into a different pattern, would you still take the same moral stand. 
Since my morals are derived from the nature of man and reality, it is not 
possible for me to answer this question. But my first response was to wonder 
what I would have been doing for the months and years that led to the momentous 
dilemma of scratching an 'X' beside Adolph's name, or not. Or did I have no 
alternatives then either? 

I can only address the reality in which I live and, in a world replete with 
alternatives, I would not vote for or against Hitler. Allow me to back-up 
theoretically to discuss a more fundamental question before going on to 
specifically address the Nazi ballot issue. 

The question is: what is the nature of the state? Here, I accept a Nozickian 
definition that the state is an institution that claims a monopoly of force 
over a geographical area. It is a form of institutionalized power, and the 
first step in dissect- ing its essence is to analyze the defining terms 'power' 
and 'institution'. 

Albert Jay Nock wrote that there were two sorts of power: social and state. 
Social power refers to the amount of freedom individuals actually exercise over 
their lives: that is, the extent to which they can freely make such choices as 
where and how to live. State power refers the actual amount of control the 
government exercises over individuals; that is, the extent to which it 
determines such choices as where and how people live. There is an inverse and 
antagonistic relationship between social and state power. This means one form 
of power expands only at the expense of the other. 

I stress the word 'actual' because the power of the state does not rest on its 
size -- eg. the number of laws on the books or the extent of the territory it 
claims. Rather, the power of a state rests on social conditions such as whether 
people will obey its laws and how many resources it can command to enforce 
obedience. A key social condition is how legitimate the state is seen to be. 
For without the veil of legitimate authority, the people will not obey: the 
state will not long command the resources, such as taxes and manpower, which it 
needs to live. 

In other words, freedom does not depend so much on repeal- ing laws as on 
weakening the authority of the state. It does not depend -- as political 
strategists expediently claim -- on persuading enough people to vote 'properly' 
so that libertarians can occupy seats of political power and roll back 
legislation. Unfortunately, this process strengthens the institutional 
framework that produced unjust laws in the first place: it strengths the 
structure of state power by accepting its authority as a tool of change. But -- 
according to Nock's analysis -- state authority can never lead to a change that 
strengthens social power. 

This brings up the issue of institutional analysis. People apply the word 
'institution' to such wide-ranging concepts as 'family', 'the free market', 
'church' and 'the state'. I define an institution as being any stable and 
widely-accepted mechanism for achieving social and political goals. To a great 
extent, these institutions function independently of the good or bad intentions 
of those who use them. For example, as long as everyone respects the rules of 
the free market, it functions as a mechanism of exchange. The same is true of 
the state. As long as everyone respects its rules -- eg. they vote, go through 
state channels, obey the law -- it functions as a mechanism of social control. 

F.A. Hayek popularized the 'theory of unintended conse- quences' which argues 
that conscious acts produce undesigned results. This is the theory of 
'unintended consequences', and it explains why good men who act through bad 
institutions will produce bad results. Good men acting through the state will 
strengthen its legitimacy and institutional framework. They will weaken the 
social conditions that allow social power to surge. Ultimately, whether or not 
they repeal any particular law becomes as irrelevant to producing freedom as 
their intentions. 

Returning to the question of voting for Hitler... Purely for the sake of 
argument, I'll grant the possibility that I could morally cast a ballot. Even 
in these circumstances, however, I would still refuse to vote against Hitler. 
Why? Because the essential problem is not Hitler, but the institutional 
framework that allows a Hitler to grasp a monopoly on power. Without the state 
to back him up and an election to give him legitimized power, Hitler would have 
been -- at most -- the leader of some ragged thugs who mugged people in back 
alleys. Voting for or against Hitler would only strengthen the institutional 
framework that produced him -- a framework that would produce another of his 
ilk in two seconds. 

Killing Hitler does less damage. But it -- like voting -- is an admission of 
utter defeat. Resorting to brute force means that all avenues of social power 
have been destroyed and I have been reduced to adopting the tactics of the 
state. Under tyranny, such violence might be justified as long as I could avoid 
harming innocent third parties. In these circumstances, however, voting could 
not be justified. No one has the right to place one human being in a position 
of political power over another. A consistent libertarian can never authorize 
one human being to tax and control peaceful activities. And the state is no 
more than the institutionalized embodiment of this authorization. 

You cannot help freedom or social power by bowing your head to Leviathan. 

http://www.zetetics.com/mac/hitler.htm

EPA Official: S-sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power... 
Russ Cargill: Of course I have. You ever tried going mad without power? It's 
boring. No one listens to you! --The Simpsons Movie


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to