So, after a few more mails from Jens, things do get clearer.

He never got my mail, and was concerned that my explanation made him look
careless, when he obviously is the opposite and wants io_uring to succeed
(not his words, of course - I want it to succeed :).

And, ahm, I guess, this is all great news - things are now a lot more
amiable behind the scenes, and I think io_uring, if it isn't there yet,
will in the not so far future, BE a drop-in replacement for select/poll,.
but some work is still needed on both sides.

So that means that I have the biggest expectation that the io_uring
backend will indeed become the default backend in libev on new enough
kernel in one of the next releases.

Boy, I so want the epoll backend to die :)

I already reflected some news in CVS - it seems that io_uring (and already
did in some cases) take care of my concerns, or at least makes them a
non-issue, and I am trying to coax Jens into a clear statement that _all_
fds supported by either select (or at least the subset supported by epoll)
will be supported, so it will become a full replacement for either. just
nicer, and faster. But I did get the impression that this is indeed the
goal.

Thanks, Jens, for giving me back my excitement that I felt about io_uring
originally :)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schm...@schmorp.de