On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 03:02:02AM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 04:18:19PM -0700, Niels Provos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > I appreciate your insights, but your message has nothing to do with
> > libevent.  The make files in libevent use the -I option to provide the
> > path to the header files.
>
> Well, since you thre documentation at me before, let me just say its high
> time to actually read up on what those -I switches do to various
> compilers....
>
> But then, I see you are not really interested in fixing bugs:

I am indeed interested in fixing bugs.  So is Niels.  I am going
through the emails you have sent me in the order I got them, trying to
confirm or disconfirm the bugs, and looking for the fixes you made.

> > I also noticed that you seem to have found several bugs in libevent.
>
> And I keep finding more the more I look at it.
>
> > It would be nice if you could send patches for them.
>
> I did that for all bugs where I could identify the right solution. Most
> bugs are actually fixed by the event core replacement code I wrote, for
> the remaining ones I send in detailed instructions how to patch the file.

I think that by "patches", Niels means "diffs".  I do not see where
those are; please forgive me if I have missed them.

> > I am a little bit dubious about some of the claims such as not being
> > able to remove an event while in a callback.
>
> Yes, that seems to be simply wrong, sorry for that. If you keep hitting
> and finding bugs (or undocumented features, such as not beign able to have
> multiple event watchers for most events, which is probably not a bug, but
> certainly something outside of my expectation for an event loop), sometimes
> one makes a mistake.

Right.  Anybody can make mistakes.  That's how bugs happen.  But you
can make mistakes too: that means that we need to confirm the bugs
that you send in (unit tests and diffs would be ideal) and confirm
that the fixes fix the bugs and don't break anything else.

I'm sorry that this isn't going as fast as possible.  As mentioned
earlier, I'm at a party in cape cod this weekend, and right now I'm
taking time out to try to help get this stuff going better.

> I am, however, not that thrilled anymore about contributing to libevent after
> the treatment you give to me, ignoring my patches, and insulting me :(

Marc, Niels:  There are ways we could all communicate more politely
and effectively.  Let's take this stuff off-list.  It doesn't help
make a better libevent to argue about it here.

many thanks, and hopes for a better working relationship in the future,
--
Nick Mathewson