On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 04:09:08PM -0800, Scott Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have you seen the new Linux timerfd API? Where available, you can wait
> for CLOCK_MONOTONIC and CLOCK_REALTIME events independently. Beats
> heuristics,

How? I still need to detect time jumps. If my ev_periodic is to be scheduled
every minute, on the minute, and somebody resets the time the timer needs to
be rescheduled. With timerfd I would need to detetc that and remove/insert
the timer again.

(You might have no use for periodics for timeouts, but they are designed
to solve this very problem :)

Besides, having a syscall per timer (or even timer change) would be an
enourmous overhead for many workloads.

> and detecting time jumps sound like introducing a lot of extra
> timeouts.

I don't quite see how that would happen with either timer event currently in
libev, unless the user code forces it.

> I'd hate to see libev(ent)? show up on PowerTOP after just getting rid
> of the 5-second timeout.

Now idea what powertop is, but sporiadic servers might use a lot of cpu
without the kernel ever realising it :)

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]