This message got caught in moderation because the attachment
was large.  I put the attachment here:

http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/2023-lgarrett-virt-v2v-debug-output.txt

----- Forwarded message from Lee Garrett <lgarr...@rocketjump.eu> -----

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 00:09:17 +0200
From: Lee Garrett <lgarr...@rocketjump.eu>
To: libguestfs@redhat.com
Subject: virt-v2v creating image that does not install guest agent on first
 boot

Hi,

rwmjones from #guestfs on libera IRC pointed me to this mail address.

I've noticed that converting the latest Windows 11 trial image via
virt-v2v does not install the guest agent any more on first boot. I
have let the machine settle for ~10 minutes to ensure it's not just
because I'm too impatient. I can see C:\qemu-ga-x86-64.msi, and also a
bunch of files in  "C:\Program Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\" and
.\Scripts, so the files are definitely copied onto the VM image, just
not executed for some reason.

The vmware image was downloaded from
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/.
The issue should be 100% reproducible (at least for me). I recall that
an older image from two, three weeks ago downloaded from the same
location did not have this issue. There guest agent was installed and
working on the first boot. Unfortunately I overwrote the image so I
cannot verify this.

I have attached the debug output of the virt-v2v run of the latest
image where this issue is apparent (guest agent not being installed).

Please let me know if there's anything else I can check, or if you
need any further info.

Cheers,
Lee

----- End forwarded message -----