On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 04:50:26PM +0200, Lee Garrett wrote:
> After testing it again today, the guest agent is still not
> installed, however this time the C:\Program
> Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\log.txt exists:
>
> starting firstboot service
> running "C:\Program Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0001-wait-pnp.bat"
>         1 file(s) moved.
> Wait for PnP to complete
> .... exit code 0
> running "C:\Program
> Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0002-install-qemu-ga-x86_64-msi-ps1.bat"
>         1 file(s) moved.
> Removing any previously scheduled qemu-ga installation
> ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.
> Scheduling delayed installation of qemu-ga from qemu-ga-x86_64.msi
> SUCCESS: The scheduled task "Firstboot-qemu-ga" has successfully been created.
> .... exit code 0
> running "C:\Program
> Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.bat"
>         1 file(s) moved.
> uninstalling VMware Tools
> .... exit code 0
> uninstalling firstboot service
> Service uninstalled successfully
>

> The folder scripts is empty, all scripts are in scripts-done. The
> contents of the folder are:
> 5000-0001-wait-pnp.bat
> 123 5000-0001-wait-pnp.log
> 5000-0002-install-qemu-ga-x86_64-msi-ps1.bat
> 5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.bat
> 5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.log
>
> Note that the .log is missing for qemu-ga.

This is what we'd expect, except maybe the missing log for qemu-ga.
It's a little odd that it is missing, but it's also possible that the
log file doesn't get written if there's no output.

> At least today I could twice provision the windows 11 VM, and in
> both cases the main log.txt was generated by the time I checked. How
> are the services scheduled? Could it be that they were delayed by >
> 1h?

Yes, we do actually try to delay qemu-ga installation.  It should only
be delayed for about 120 seconds (not 1 hour).

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs-common/blob/e70d89a58dae068be2e19c7c21558707261af96a/mlcustomize/inject_virtio_win.ml#L580

However there have been timezone bugs with this in the past (and maybe
there still are), see the sordid history in these two links:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs-common/blob/e70d89a58dae068be2e19c7c21558707261af96a/mlcustomize/inject_virtio_win.ml#L558

Which TZ are you in?

Rich.