On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 04:26:59PM +0200, Alice Frosi wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 4:10 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>     [Alice: See patch 2]
>

> I'm not 100% sure about the source of this work. However, we had in
> KubeVirt people interested in using localtime with Windows [1]. Yes,
> I see that you pointed to that PR in patch 2. The problem with that
> PR is the migration. What happens if we migrate the VM to a host
> that is in another timezone? Is it going to break the application
> running inside the VM?

Does every Windows VM running in Kubevirt have its registry adjusted
so it expects the BIOS to be set to UTC?  (ie:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time#UTC_in_Microsoft_Windows).
This is a non-standard setting, but I can't understand how Windows VMs
would have correct clocks if this were not the case.

BTW you could find out by running:

  $ virt-win-reg window.img 'HKLM\SYSTEM'

on some Kubevirt Windows VMs, and looking for:

  [\ControlSet001\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

in the output.  See if there is a key called "RealTimeIsUniversal" and
what it is set to.

If it is the case that this is always set for existing Kubevirt
guests, then virt-v2v would have to be changed so it also sets this
registry entry when the output is Kubevirt.

I agree that migration across timezones is highly problematic for the
BIOS = localtime situation.  I don't see any solution for that except
disallowing it.

> IMO, that was the major blocker of that PR. I initially suggested that we
> either avoid migration as a first step or try to migrate only on nodes at the
> same timezone,
> Do you know if anyone has experience on this particular problem?

I guess RHV must have encountered this before, but I don't know any
specifics.

Thanks,

Rich.