On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Manav Bhatia wrote:

  I was looking through some code in FE and noticed some comments
  about 1D/2D elements in 3D space. What is the extent of support
  for this?

IIRC:

If you're using just one or just the other, then the support should be
complete.

If you're connecting one to the other (or connecting either/both to 3D
elements), then you don't get neighbor links for those connections.

If you're overlapping one on or within the other (e.g. elements which
occupy the sides of higher dimensional elements) and you want them to
share DoFs consistently then I think you're limited to LAGRANGE
variables for those DoFs.
---
Roy