Thanks!

So, would the shape function derivatives account the orientation of the
element?

For instance, a 1D element oriented along:   x-axis   vs   y-axis   vs   x=y
line.

In all cases, there is only one shape function defined along the element
coordinate. But its derivative wrt x and y will vary. Is this handled for both
1st order and 2nd order Lagrange (for instance)?

-Manav