https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173775

            Bug ID: 173775
           Summary: LibreOffice Writer: Comments overlapping with
                    suggested deletions are themselves being deleted, and
                    any suggested additions they cover are being converted
                    into suggested deletions.
           Product: LibreOffice
           Version: 26.8.0.3 release
          Hardware: PowerPC
                OS: macOS (All)
            Status: UNCONFIRMED
          Severity: normal
          Priority: medium
         Component: Writer
          Assignee: [email protected]
          Reporter: [email protected]

Description:
Please note that this bug or incredibly bad decision has affected both an OS X
and Windows version of Writer rather recently (in the past few months.)

While using Tracked Changes in LibreOffice Writer, it is quite common for new
suggested text to exist directly adjacent to suggested deletions. Recently, any
comment made that covers any suggested-to-be-deleted text itself gets deleted
(big red X through it) on save. Furthermore, any suggested-to-be-added text
that the comment "covers" also gets deleted... as its own
suggestion-to-be-deleted, which is just a bizarre extra twist. That means that
the suggested text still exists, but looks to an outside observer like original
text that I also suggested be deleted.

This behavior is suboptimal for three reasons.

First, if I leave a comment connected to deleted text, it's because I'm
explaining why I'm suggesting the deletion. How could anybody think that a
comment left AFTER suggesting a deletion itself should be deleted?

Second, I don't want to waste time surgically isolating my comment coverage any
which way. Indeed, many comments conceptually cover both additions and
deletions at once -- you know, suggested replacement text.

Third, any of these errors not caught will give the client the false impression
that I was suggesting the deletion of extra (often nonsensical) text that they
never even generated on their end. That's over and above them receiving a
document that has therefore not been properly edited!

Having any of my suggested additions automatically deleted for ANY reason is,
frankly, unacceptable behavior.

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Write some text in a Writer document (original text.)
2.Enable Tracked Changes.
3.Make a tracked change to delete some text.
4.Make a tracked change to add some text adjacent to the
suggested-to-be-deleted text.
5. Select both suggested-to-be-deleted and suggested-to-be-added text at once,
then generate a comment.
6. Save the document.
7. Close and reopen the document.

Actual Results:
When you reopen the document, the comment that is "attached" to both the
suggested-to-be-deleted and suggested-to-be-added text will have a big red 'X'
through it, and any suggested-to-be-added text will have turned into
suggested-to-be-deleted text as well... despite that text never having been
part of the original text from Step 1.

Expected Results:
1. Comments should never be auto-deleted on save, period.
2. Comments should not be interacting with tracked changes either way -- either
the comment affecting the text or the text affecting the comment.
3. To put it another way, when I save my document, nothing should change from
what I'm seeing on my screen. Suggested-to-be-deleted text,
suggested-to-be-added text, and a comment that might "span" both should simply
keep existing as they are.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: Yes

Additional Info:
As noted previously, I have observed this behavior not only on the listed
version of LibreOffice/Writer on OS X, but also on a recent version I installed
on a Windows 10 machine.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.

Reply via email to