On 11/27/2012 11:31 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
Petr Mladek wrote (27-11-12 17:54)
We listen :-) Well, the testing can be done even with Dev builds. I
installed the daily build from
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Linux-x86_64_11-Release-Configuration/master/current/

and did the following steps:

1. started the official libreoffice3.6, modified some settings, and
stopped it
2. removed ~/.config/libreoffice/3/MIGRATED
3. removed ~/.config/lodev/4
4. started lodev4.0

Result: Most of the setting changes were migrated.

That is clear.
Can one of you please tell me if there is a different result when one
does what you did and between manually copying the user profile to the
new versions' user directory?

You mean, "rm -rf ~/.config/lodev/4 && mkdir -p ~/.config/lodev && cp -a ~/.config/libreoffice/3 ~/.config/lodev/4"? This can be problematic for various reasons:

* LO contains code to only selectively copy parts of an existing user profile. One example where that is used is to drop per-user installed instances of the Presenter Screen and PDF Import extensions (where it was possible to have them installed per-user even though they were already bundled), as those changed from (bundled) extensions to core code parts in LO 4, and having them installed in both forms can lead to trouble.

* Those parts that LO does not migrate at all might confuse it if they appear nevertheless in a new profile (where LO would no longer write them, say). One example is that I still plan to move the location of a flag file from user/extensions/bundled/buildid to user/extensions/buildid for LO 4. In this case it would be harmless if an extra user/extensions/buildid would show up by the naive copying, but you get the idea.

IMHO, the question is if we really need to spend resources on special
dialog or special support. Note that we do not migrate configuration
between minor releases. So this testing is needed only once every few
years.

On the other hand, also between minor release there may be differences
that interfere with the user-profile.
Therefore testing it with a new and with the existing user profile make
sense, IMO.

Indeed. One more reason why I think it is better to have QA people know the underlying mechanisms so they can make educated decisions how to set up their tests scenarios, than to try and have an automated mechanism for LOdev builds.

Stephan