Hi Caolán,

On Friday, 2011-09-02 11:09:37 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:

> > > How can I quickly setup a database and query to test this thing?
>
> I find setting up databases and configuring them a super pain in the
> ass, so much so that I have a fair number of bugs lingering because I
> can't motivate myself to struggle with configuring databases.
>
> Personally, I think I would be tempted by something like a virtual box
> VDI pre-configured, installed and populated databases images/appliances

At least for the simple tasks like this, running some SQL query against
any database, the ODBC/HSQL (or whatever is the background job doing) of
Base is sufficient. The easiest method (of course I had to have that
idea after having created my own ;) is probably to copy (to not mess
around with the registered sample database)
install/basis3.5/presets/database/biblio.odb to the document folder and
file open it.

> Is this a stupid idea ?

If larger SQL systems setup in specific ways are needed, a VB is
probably a good idea.

  Eike